News

Second child discharged from hospital following stabbing incident in Dublin

Two of the five injured at the scene of the Dublin Parnell Square incident have been discharged from hospital.

A second child has been discharged from the hospital this weekend following the Dublin attack last Thursday, November 23, outside Gaelscoil Choláiste Mhuire.

The girl aged six, was discharged on Saturday, November 25, while a boy, aged five, was discharged not long after the attack. 

Official reports state that another of the victims, a five-year-old girl, is still at the hospital. The child was seriously injured during the incident and remains in a critical condition in CHI Temple Street.

A female teaching assistant in her 30s, also remains in serious but stable condition at the Mater Hospital in Dublin.

The suspect, a man in his 50s, is still being treated for head injuries at a hospital in the Dublin region. He is under surveillance by Gardaí but is not in a condition to be interrogated at this time. 

The hero who stopped the attack, Caio Benicio, is a Brazilian delivery driver. The father of two acted on instinct while he was driving past the scene of the attack.

In an interview with The Irish Times, Benicio said: “When you see a man with a knife with a little girl. I don’t know what I think, I just act. I don’t even have time to be afraid.” 

Following the attacks, anti-immigration rioters took to the streets of Dublin and burned down buses, Luas trams and Gardaí cars. They also looted multiple shops and set fire to a hotel.

When asked what he thought about the Dublin riots, Caio said: “It doesn’t make sense at all. Because I know the protest is about, against immigrants and I’m an immigrant myself and I was the one to help out.”

A GoFundMe set up for Caio titled ‘Buy Caio a pint’ has now raised well over €360,000 with more than 33,000 donations. 

In an X post from Thursday, November 23, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar expressed his shock over the incident.

Minister of Justice, Helen McEntee, released a statement on Saturday, November 25, where she expressed the need for additional Garda presence in the streets of Dublin following last week’s incidents.

An Garda Síochána appeals to anyone who was present on Thursday, November 23, and might have video footage or images to contact Gardai at Store Street Garda Station via email at store.street.public@garda.ie with their contact details only. 

The Garda investigation team can also be contacted at Store Street Garda station at 01 666 8000, the Garda Continental Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda station. 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Latest

To Top

Powered by themekiller.com anime4online.com animextoon.com apk4phone.com tengag.com moviekillers.com