Limerick FC suffer heavy defeat to St Pats in final home league game

The Limerick defence getting ready for another St Pats corner. Photo: Liam Winter, Limerick Voice

An injury depleted Limerick FC continued to struggle as they suffered a 4-0 defeat to mid table St Pats in their final home game of the league season.

Limerick FC manager Tommy Barrett was without six of his first team players for the game resulting in him giving a first team debut to Tomás O’Connor.

It took St Pats just ten minutes to take the lead when defender Kevin Toner took advantage of some sloppy defending from a corner, hammering a half volley into the bottom corner.

Limerick captain Shane Duggan put under pressure by St Pats. Photo: Liam Winter, Limerick Voice

Things got heated between Limerick winger Billy Dennehey and referee John McLoughlin soon after as Dennehey gave away a foul in a dangerous position as St Pats continued to pile on the pressure in the early exchanges.

Jake Keegan doubled the visitors lead in the 22nd minute as he tapped the ball in from close range following a cut back from Ian Bermingham that left the Limerick defence helpless.

Limerick FC were limited to set pieces and long range efforts but were unable to trouble Brendan Clarke in the St Pats goal. Meanwhile Jack Brady was kept busy pulling off a fantastic finger tip save to deny Keegan his second late in the first half ensuring the deficit remained at just two goals going in to the interval.

St Pats’ Conan Byrne weaving through the Limerick defence. Photo: Liam Winter, Limerick Voice

Brady’s 2nd half got off to a disastrous start though as he failed to control a back pass from Colman Kennedy which rolled into the net giving St Pats a 3-0 lead after 47 minutes.

Simon Madden added the fourth and final goal just two minutes later as his effort went in off the inside of the post.

St Pats continued to drive forward looking to add to their lead and looked firmly in control with James Donna rattling the woodwork on two occasions.

Limerick goalkeeper Jack Brady was kept busy all game long. Photo: Liam Winter, Limerick Voice

The final whistle sounded over a deathly silent Markets Field with the visitors St Pats leaving with a much deserved 4-0 win.

Limerick will have nothing to play for in their final game of the league season when they travel to fourth place Waterford next Friday.

All eyes are now on the all important relegation play-off games against Finn Harps who secured their spot in the play-off with their 2-0 win over Drogheda United.

Finn Harps will host the first leg of the play-offs on October 29 with the return fixture taking place at Markets Field on November 2.

Limerick players and staff leave the pitch disappointed following their loss. Photo: Liam Winter, Limerick Voice

Limerick FC: Jack Brady; Shaun Kelly (Aaron Fitzgerald, 66), Tomás O’Connor, Colman Kennedy, Shane Tracy; Shane Duggan, Darren Murphy; Karl O’Sullivan, Barry Maguire (Adam Foley, 77), Billy Dennehy; Danny Morrissey (Connor Ellis, 70).

St Pats: Brendan Clarke; Simon Madden, Kevin Toner, Joe Manley (Killian Brennan, 46), Ian Bermingham; Conor Clifford (Ryan Brennan, 66), Lee Desmond; Conan Byrne, Darragh Markey, James Doona; Jake Keegan (Achille Campion, 70).

Most Popular

To Top

Powered by